Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine is an award-winning European-inspired neighborhood cheese, specialty food and wine retailer. We offer the highest quality, cut-to-order domestic and international specialty cheeses, freshly baked breads, perfectly chosen accompaniments and small production wines, craft beers, sandwiches, catering, and gift baskets. We opened our first store in Chicago's East Lakeview neighborhood in 2004. We subsequently opened two additional stores in the Loop and the Chicago French Market, have a thriving wholesale and online business, and opened our intimate cheese and wine bistro, Bar Pastoral. Throughout our decade of growth, we are proud to have maintained a working environment befitting a small, local business. While we are a professional environment, we never forget to have a little fun!
Pastoral is one of the nation's most respected specialty food retailers, having been featured three times in Oprah's Favorite Things, the Williams-Sonoma Catalog, and on NBC's Today Show. Twice the Specialty Food Association has awarded us the distinction of national Outstanding Specialty Food Retailer (2012 and 2007), Bar Pastoral has been recommended in the prestigious Michelin Guide, and we’ve won several "Best of Chicago" awards. Our commitment and focus on service, education, quality, and uniqueness drives our growth and success.
Pastoral employees are a community amongst ourselves, and our shared passion is food. Beyond that shared passion, our diversity is endless. In addition to professionally trained chefs and bakers, Pastoral has employed neuroscientists, actors, former Congressional aides, haunted house aficionados, musicians, attorneys, professors, and martial arts experts, among others.
We expect all prospective employees to be responsible, motivated, self-starters who show initiative and a strong sense of personal and professional responsibility.
Senior Manager of Operations
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Operations to join our team to lead, shape, and continue to cultivate our retail and restaurant business strategies. This position reports to our Chief Operating Officer.
The Senior Manager of Operations is a member of the Senior Management Team who will create a culture that drives profitable growth while ensuring continual improvements to the customer experience. The SMO will develop the store and restaurant management teams to ensure current and future business goals are reached, and align teams to achieve organizational goals. The SMO is expected to be in the stores and restaurant frequently to ensure customer service standards and compliance with operational systems are achieved and maintained. The SMO will collaborate with colleagues on the Senior Management Team with matters pertaining to Human Resources, Purchasing, and Marketing.
Our ideal candidate is a vibrant leader and team-oriented professional who has a passion for food, has several years of management experience in a multi-unit retail business environment, has an innate ability to manage and motivate a team, possesses attention to detail and strong analytic skills to manage profitability by the numbers.
- 4+ years management experience in a fast-paced, multi-unit retail business environment; food industry a strong plus
- Proven ability to meet current and future business goals through managing by the numbers and continuous identification and development of store management talent
- Proven record of success in delegation and people management skills
- Proven ability to build and leverage relationships with peers, corporate partners and the business community to positively impact business decisions
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and the ability to influence business partners at all levels
- Proficient computer skills including word processing and spreadsheet software programs
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business; will require weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
- Ability to travel: all locations are in Chicago area; vehicle helpful, but not required
- Ability to lift and mobilize medium to large items, up to 75 lbs., while utilizing appropriate equipment
To apply, please send resumes WITH cover letters to email@example.com