When Pastoral opened its doors in Lakeview in 2004 we had four employees not including ourselves. Almost seven years later, we have two additional stores plus wholesale and online businesses, so we have grown a great deal in staff from those original four. Despite our growth, we are proud to have maintained a working environment befitting a small, local business. While we are a professional environment, we never forget to have a little fun!
Pastoral employees are a community amongst themselves, and our shared passion is food. Beyond that, our diversity is endless. In addition to professionally trained chefs and bakers, Pastoral has employed neuroscientists, actors, former Congressional aides, haunted house aficionados, attorneys, professors, and martial arts experts, among others.
We expect all prospective employees to be responsible, motivated, self-starters who show initiative and a strong sense of personal and professional responsibility.
We welcome resume submissions for Counter Associates and Sandwich Bar Associates at all times, though the majority of our interviewing and hiring happens during February, April, September and November.
Read about each position below.
Pastoral is currently seeking an experienced Full Charge Senior Bookkeeper for our three retail locations, restaurant and commissary.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com Please indicate specific salary requirements/expectations. Submissions without a cover letter and salary requirements will not be considered at this time.
- Formal accounting training preferred; or, at least 3 years previous experience in a Bookkeeping capacity
- Extensive experience working with Quickbooks Financial software
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
- Experience running internal payroll, Quickbooks payroll preferred
- Experience balancing the books for several lines of business
- A self-starter, able to meet deadlines while working independently
- Skilled multi-tasker, able to prioritize projects without excessive direction
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented
- Friendly and communicative
The Senior Bookkeeper position is a full-time salaried position reporting directly to the CFO/Co-Owner. Full-time employees are eligible to participate in Pastoral's benefit program after 90 days, including, Health, Dental, Life, Short & Long Term Disability, SIMPLE IRA and Transit Benefit.
This is a counter sales position in a dynamic, fast-paced, front-of-house culinary environment. Applicants must show excellent people skills, a strong desire to learn and educate customers, and a good service ethic. In addition to general counter service, responsibilities include preparing gourmet sandwiches, artisan catering trays and gift baskets.
- Prior education in or professional experience with small-batch, artisan cheeses and/or wines is strongly preferred
- Proficient knife skills
- Interest in artisan, hand-made and small-batch specialty foods and wines
- Availability 25-35 hours per week. Shifts generally run from either 9:00 am - 3:00 pm or 3:00 - 9:00 pm, Monday - Friday, and 10:00 am - 7:00 pm weekends
Starting pay is $10.00/hr. Additionally, employees receive a 25% store discount. To apply, please send resumes WITH cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org .
SANDWICH BAR ASSOCIATE
These positions focus on fulfillment of sandwich, salad, and picnic orders in our Lake Street and French Market stores. Sandwich Bar Associates will also be given opportunities to learn about our core product categories: artisan cheese and wine. With its fast pace and physical similarity to working a kitchen line, the position provides a strong platform for future restaurant work, or supplemental work for those with evening kitchen or restaurant jobs. The position can be set up as an internship for culinary students, depending on your school’s particular requirements.
- Proficient knife skills
- Previous experience in a food environment, with a particular interest in artisan, hand-made and small batch specialty foods and wines
- Ability and desire to work quickly in a sometimes-crowded, always fast-paced environment
- Weekday & weekend availability: Sandwich Bar Associates are needed for at least two morning/mid-day shifts (8:00am - 3:00pm), two evening shifts (2:30pm - 9:30pm), or a combination thereof
Starting pay is $9.00/hr. Additionally, employees receive a 25% store discount. To apply, please send resumes WITH cover letters to email@example.com .
Server/Bartender - Bar Pastoral
- Front of house experience in an educated and elevated environment, preferably at least 4 years
- An advanced and growing knowledge & interest in artisan food and beverage
- Open availability
- A steady work history with verifiable references
To apply, send resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please enter "Bar Pastoral/FOH/Your Name" in the subject line.
After review, qualified candidates will receive a brief questionnaire regarding wine knowledge. Thoughtful and sincere responses to this questionnaire will be contacted for in-person interviews.
We are currently seeking a reliable, courteous, organized and energetic licensed driver, 18 or older, who also meets the following requirements:
- Able to work Tuesday - Saturday, 9:30a - 6:00p.
- Possess a current, unrestricted Illinois drivers' license.
- Own, and be willing to use, his/her own vehicle for deliveries (approximately 125 miles/week), with proof of insurance.
- Reasonably clean driving record (candidates will need to be cleared by our insurance company to also drive company vehicle before job offer will be made.).
- Able to lift and carry up to 40lb.
- Interest in and ability to carry out general maintenance and fix-it projects during downtime.
Pastoral will provide standard federally-set mileage reimbursement for approved on-the-clock mileage in drivers' own vehicle, in addition to hourly compensation of $10.00/hr (compensation will be reviewed after 90 days). During downtime, this position will report to store and shift managers to assist in performing various store and office tasks as needed.
Food experience is helpful, but not necessary. Ability to go with flow imperative, as the typical day for our drivers is usually anything but typical.
Full-time employees performing up to standards will be eligible to participate in Pastoral's Benefit's program after 90 days, including Health, Dental, Life, Short & Long Term Disability Insurance. Additionally, all employees are eligible to participate in the CTA Transit Benefit Program and the Pastoral SIMPLE IRA, and receive a 25% in-store discount on purchases.
Interested candidates should respond to this post with a resume and cover letter to email@example.com .